Disclaimer

A note to the wise (and not so wise): this blog is not a traditional blog.

I don't simply write day-to-day. Instead, I have chosen to write by topic while still maintaining chronological order.

So, be sure to check out every topic (the archive is on the right), and if it looks incomplete, come back later, as I will likely update it with all kinds of new features!

PS-If you like my mission and my work, remember that it is 100% volunteer, so please consider DONATING
(Designation #2686)

My EMI Videos


Saturday, February 9, 2008

3 1/2 Weeks, 6 Bosses, and a Roommate

NOTE: Colorado Springs (COS) pictures are here.
---------------------------------------------------
A lot has happened since coming to the office, and there is more to do before I go overseas on Thursday.

Aside from daily morning prayers and devotional lessons, just about every staff member has asked me to do some task for them:

Randy, my main boss, has had me working on a few tasks. I started with graphic arts: some finishing touches on a promotional brochure for a currently running project of his, and AutoCAD layouts for pictures from an architect on that project and a site survey for my upcoming project trip. I then moved to administrative: compiling team member information for flight itineraries and ordering health insurance for the trip. Before I left, I started working heavily on 2D and 3D modeling, using AutoCAD and Google SketchUp. I successfully translated the master plan AutoCAD drawing (with a little advice from Jeremy, our staff drafter) from Randy's project into the EMI standard layering scheme, so that it would print correctly when we needed to print it, and I also created a 3D map of the terrain at the site of my project, complete with an animation that allows the viewer to take a virtual walkthrough of the 38.5 acre parcel in about 2 minutes.

Donna, the semi-IT-staff structural engineer has been having me fix printers (for everything from CAD drawings and reports to thank you letters for supporters), work on network connections and mapping, write scripts to run routine tasks, and take care of hardware and software for some of the computers (both in the office and going overseas to other staff).

Danna, the intern coordinator, needed my help with packets for interns coming in next semester, and also name lists for the intern placques on the (memorial?) wall.

Kelly, our finance and administrative staff, and sole paid employee in the whole office, had me working on copying and stamping support checks, and also vacuuming.

Bob, another of the project leaders, is my office mentor. He and I go to weekly prayer meetings and lunches together. He also had me work on information packets for his Mexico team.

Chris, our resident graphic artist asked for my help with web scripts and HTML; I gave some advice, but since that isn't my expertise, I haven't really had the time or the body of knowledge to truly solve any problems or make his job easier.

Rex, also a project leader (going to China), asked me to house sit for him while his family was away on a youth retreat. His cats weren't too demanding, but his dog, a "Golden Doodle" named Buddy, needed to be walked about twice a day for about a half-hour each, just so he would go to the bathroom.

I also am running errands for my roommate who is working on a hospital and power generator in Liberia. But it's not all one-sided. He is perhaps the first real accountability partner I've had as pertains to staying within YHWH's word and ways.

One thing I've really enjoyed about working at EMI is the daily devotionals and communal prayer. I've even led one myself (some poetry from a friend back home named Jim Eliot).

There are so many other things too small to mention, but it will suffice to say that I've been quite busy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! What a different look with no beard!! Were you able to get all of the $$ needed for this trip??