Disclaimer

A note to the wise (and not so wise): this blog is not a traditional blog.

I don't simply write day-to-day. Instead, I have chosen to write by topic while still maintaining chronological order.

So, be sure to check out every topic (the archive is on the right), and if it looks incomplete, come back later, as I will likely update it with all kinds of new features!

PS-If you like my mission and my work, remember that it is 100% volunteer, so please consider DONATING
(Designation #2686)

My EMI Videos


Saturday, February 9, 2008

Rituals of a Christian Nazirite

NOTE: My shaving pictures are here.
-----------------------------------------------
The Law (Hebrew: Torah) was made to show man’s insufficiency without God. Given this background, I knew going in to my vow that I did not have doves, lambs, rams, or much in regards to possible modern-day equivalents in order to make such a costly offering. While I hoped that YHWH would bless me with the abundance to pay the price, he blessed me some in this area, but more so through less tangible possessions. Thus, I could not rightly say that I fulfilled the vow and the Law; I could only give everything I had (time, money, computer, automobile, body, etc.) to Him and become a slave (willing of course). This is analogous to the Christian Life: In view of our sin and Christ taking our death penalty for it, YHWH paid a price greater than we could pay and gave a gift greater than we could give, and so the only reasonable course for us is to repent, plead for mercy, and offer ourselves as servants in his household (that is, if we don’t want to face prison and punishment, which I certainly don’t). I am now a more joyous servant than ever for this experience and newfound appreciation of the YSHWH, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, and this vow, rather than being a burden and curse to me, has proven to be life.

I did try to follow the rituals involving hair, cleanliness, and the non-consumption of the fruit of the vine; I did not do it for the sake of adherence but rather as an outward sign and a personal dedication to experience and learning. Of course, even this process involved reliance on the Messiah, one reason being the communion of bread and wine. Not only did I again need to recall the body broken and the blood poured out that I might be healed and pure, I knew that YHSHW took on the fruit of the vine conflict when he said that he would not drink it again until he did so in the Kingdom of God. Thus, all things point to the need of and submission to Him.

No comments: